First time installation
XOOPS is an open-source Object-Oriented Web publishing system written in PHP. It is an ideal tool for developing small to large dynamic community websites, intra company portals, corporate portals, weblogs and much more.
XOOPS is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) and is free to use and modify. It is free to redistribute as long as you abide by the distribution terms of the GPL.
To install XOOPS for the first time, you'll need to have the minimum following server software pre-installed:
* WWW Server (Apache, IIS, Roxen, etc)
* PHP 4.3.0 or higher (5.2 or higher recommended)
* MySQL 3.23 or higher (4.1 or higher recommended)
Before starting the install, be sure to have:
* Setup WWW server, PHP and database server properly.
* Prepare a database for your XOOPS site.
* Prepare user account and grant the user the access to the database.
* Make the directories of uploads/, cache/ and templates_c/ and the files of mainfile.php writable.
* If you need to install protector module from GIJOE, replace the file mainfile.dist.php with /extras/mainfile.dist.php.protector (remember to rename the file to htdocs/mainfile.dist.php).
* For security considerations, you are encouraged to move directories xoops_lib (for XOOPS libraries) and xoops_data (for XOOPS data) out of document root, or even change the folder names.
* Make the directory of xoops_data/ writable; Create and make the directories of xoops_data/configs/, xoops_data/caches/, xoops_data/caches/xoops_cache/, xoops_data/caches/smarty_cache/ and xoops_data/caches/smarty_compile/ writable.
If you are running a local environment for development or testing, make sure that you have the previous requirements met. Once this is done, copy the contents of the htdocs directory (from the XOOPS distribution file or SVN) to the root document path of your web environment. Once the files are copied there, you can start the install by typing "http://yoursite.com". This will start the install process.
Installing on a hosted platform
If you are running in a hosted environment, unpack the XOOPS files locally or on the server if you have telnet or SSH access. Once you done this, make sure to move or copy all XOOPS files from the htdocs directory to your root web directory (your provider usually provides this location with directions). Once the files are copied there, you can start the install by typing "http://yoursite.com". This will start the install process.
Continuing the install
Just follow step-by-step instructions in installer.